Mrs Amos and Miss Greeves Mrs Bate and Mrs Brown
Donaldson Class 1A Hargreaves Class 1B
Welcome to Year 1's class page
Welcome to Year 1. We are looking forward to an exciting year of learning and fun. Here is some information that we hope you will find useful for this term, please make an appointment or email us should you have any other questions.
Mrs Bate - 1B - firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs Amos - 1A - email@example.com
The Year 1 team
- Wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
- Always wash your hands when you get home or into work/school
- Use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- Put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
- Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell.
Maths – In Maths we follow the White Rose hub schemes of learning.
This term we will be looking at place value of numbers. Children will be given opportunities to demonstrate their learning using pictures, words, symbols and equipment. It is important for the children to know the numbers thoroughly.
English – We follow Ruth Miskin's Read Write Inc
We have now started our new Read, Write Inc groups. These will run from Monday to Thursday each week. On a Friday, the children will practise the skills they have learnt in an extended piece of writing. This term we will be continuing to focus on using conjunctions in sentences, including and, because, but and so. We will also be continuing to use adjectives to make their writing more exciting. To help at home you could
- Practise the RWInc sounds
- Encourage your child to read shorter words speedily
- Listen to your child read daily
- Practise correct letter formation
- Talk to your child about any new vocabulary you come across in books
RE - In RE we follow the Understanding Christianity scheme
This term we will be continuing to learn about Christianity.
This term we will be focusing on throwing and catching. Each term we will complete a block of PE lessons every afternoon for one week It is really important that your child has comfortable shoes for PE sessions as we are not changing for PE at this current time.
1B - PE day = Wednesday
1A - PE day = Thursday
Earrings may not be worn during PE lessons. Please remove before school unless your child is able to remove them, themselves.
These are the dates of our block weeks for terms 1 and 2:
Week beginning 14/09/20 - Both classes
Week beginning 09/11/20 - Both classes
This term we will be starting to teach the Year 1 curriculum in the afternoons. We will be starting with Science, learning about materials. We will also be covering art towards the end of the term to link in with our learning about Christmas.
To support at home
Please continue to talk to your child about any worries or concerns.
Practice letter and number formation when possible.
Count and notice numbers in the environment.
Read to and listen to your child read whenever possible.
Play games to encourage turn taking and language development.